How to adopt an unmaintained project
Here are some suggestions on how to proceed if you want to adopt an unmaintained project:
- Put up a new homepage for the project (or – if possible – use the old one) and/or release a new version of the project with bugs fixed and/or new features etc.
It would also be polite to contact the original author and tell him/her that you intend to maintain his/her project…
- Update the project on Unmaintained Free Software, i.e.
- Set the status of the project to Maintained.
- Update the URL to the homepage and/or the download location.
- Enter your name and email address in the Maintainer fields.
- Update any other information about the project which has changed.
This will allow people who are interested in contributing to the project to contact the new maintainer (you) and to check out your new homepage and/or release.(You can update the information about a project by selecting the Update-link in the upper-right corner of the project’s box)